Class A vs. Class B CDL Drivers

jobs in construction

The differentiation between a Class A and a Class B Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is straightforward, but it makes a world of difference in the type of jobs you will be performing as a commercial driver. Vehicles pulling commercial trailers weighing in at over 10,000 pounds must obtain a Class A CDL, also known as a CDL-A. Though the main difference seems only a surface-level disparity, this weight threshold roughly sorts commercial vehicles into two groups: large semi-trucks pulling tractor-trailers. The second category is smaller commercial vehicles like busses and straight trucks.

Class A CDLs are an entry requirement for several jobs in construction. The most common occupation for a Class A CDL is a driver for a large tractor-trailer. There are a wide variety of trailers to choose from. You can drive a single, double, or even a triple trailer. You can also drive specialty tanker vehicles with this license.

A Class B CDL covers the smaller trucks that pull trailers. Some examples might be a small trailer for horses and other livestock or a truck for a packing and moving company. There are also Class C CDLs, but we will cover those licenses in this article because Class B CDLs also cover all vehicles that a Class C CDL would cover.

Kilgore Companies provides top-quality jobs in construction throughout the Midwestern United States. So if you or someone you know is interested in jobs in construction, and you live near one of Kilgore Companies’ many locations, then you can find your next potential job on the company’s job listings site. Take advantage of this convenient job posting site and attain your dream job working for one of the many fine companies under the Kilgore banner.